Savant: (noun) a person of learning; especially one with detailed knowledge in some specialized field (as of science or literature)
Idiot Savant:
1 : a person affected with a mental disability (as autism or mental retardation) who exhibits exceptional skill or brilliance in some limited field (as mathematics or music) —called also savant
2 : a person who is highly knowledgeable about one subject but knows little about anything else-- Merriam-Webster online
Today, when shopping, I got a free canvas bag from Albertson's for spending more than $10. It had the number "82" on it, with the Dallas Cowboys' colors, and an "autograph" at the bottom that I couldn't read. When I got back to the car, I asked Travis who could it be. He immediately said he thought it was Jason Witten. And upon closer inspection of the autograph, I could see he was right.
He's very into football. This is something that has sprung up beginning about the end of 5th grade. Now he talks, eats and breathes football. He knows every team and the name of every coach. He knows stats that I didn't even know existed. He can name the college players that are most likely to be drafted this year, and the ones that will go in the first round. I am pretty sure he knows just about every player's name in the NFL, position played, former teams, how long they have left on their contracts and whether they are playing with any injuries. It is amazing.
Which leads me to the above-definitions. How is it someone who can remember so many details about football, past and present, doesn't know he is missing two papers-- one in history, one in science-- and now has a zero on those grades because he "forgot" to do his homework? It's the third late paper this six weeks in just science. I know he doesn't have any mental impairment that keeps him from doing the work. He is a very bright boy, IQ testing has proven it. It is amazing how he can turn it on when he wants to. He made over 100 on his last Earth Science test. He made a 60 on a constitutional quiz, then the following week make a 108 on the real test over the Constitution. I just wish he would turn it on more consistently! By the way, he has now finished the past-due science, but forgot to bring home his history folder with the missing worksheet. (big sigh).
Thursday, April 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mary... I'm afraid it's that awful disease called "teenage boy". I'm not sure why, but it seems that all boys that age temporarily lose their ability to remember homework, to remember to do chores and even to chage their underwear (yuck!). Our nephew Trevor, who lives with us, is 15 and has been suffering from this "disease" for about a year now. Hopefully he'll snap out of it soon. I totally know where you're coming from. It can be pretty frustrating for parents.
ReplyDeleteHang in there!! :)
They don't "forget" to change their underwear Mama Stubblefield, they just figure if no one else can smell it, they are good to go...
ReplyDeleteI didn't realized you had a teen boy in the house! We have so much in common! Don't even get me started on his room.....
ReplyDelete