Monday, April 5, 2010

why my real family

Why start a blog? Does anyone really care to read about "my family" or my life? I decided to start this for-- me. I think of it as a diary, a reminder of things that happened. I have to do this because now, it seems, I forget more than ever. I am not even really sure I will share this with anyone, but for right now, writing for myself seems to be worthy enough.

Why did I chose the title "My Real Family?" It kinda just popped into my head. My youngest, now age 7, is adopted. She has sometimes threatened me that she will "run away to my other mother/family" -- done dramatically enough to try and elicite the most shock value. I have sometimes heard adopted children refer to their biological family as their "real" family. Well baby, I am as real as it gets. Usually, I just ignore those threats (she is such a drama queen) because after all, who hasn't threatened to run away from home? And to add that special stab in the heart-- to find our "real" parents.

I decided long ago that it was OK for her to want to know her bilogical mother. But sometimes, fantasy gets in the way of reality. One time we were driving through Country Club, an addition in our town that as you can guess, has some really big, old mansions, and out of the blue she asked me, "is this where my other mother lives?" "Umm, no," was my response. At what point, if ever, do you tell your daughter that her mother that bore her has a life far from the one her child is living right now? I think probably never. I think she will figure it out on her own, someday. Right now, it is OK for her to love her biological mother, and to fantasize about where she lives (surely she has horses) because I know that just like I can love two children, my biological child and my adopted child, she can love two mothers. And someday, I am sure she will understand that I am her "Real Mother."

3 comments:

  1. Love this Mary! Thank you for sharing your heart. So glad we have adoptive parents who have gone before us so when the time comes for us to navigate this very thing, we'll have some wisdom to draw from. Glad you decided to blog! Can't wait to hear more!
    Blessings,
    Andi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! So glad you are a blogger now :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww Mary I LOVE this blog! My brother was adopted so I heard some of that growing up. Weird thing is.. you could never tell he was adopted. People think him and I look more alike than me and my biological brother and that him and my mom look just alike. Crazy the way God plans things out. :)

    ReplyDelete